Teacher of General Subjects
(Internal Alternative Provision)
Start date: January 2024
Location: Ark Alexandra Academy, Hastings, East Sussex
Salary: Ark Outside London Main/Upper Pay Scales: £30,570 to £48,390 (pro rata if part-time)
Hours: Full or Part-Time
Closing date: 9.00 am on Tuesday 05 December 2023
We are looking for an enthusiastic General subjects teacher, with an interest in PE and OAA whether newly qualified or experienced and we will aim to work to the strengths of the successful candidate. You will be primarily attached to a single class, with either a KS3 or KS4 focus, although you will be expected to deliver to all learners at times.
Our Compass centre is an Internal Alternative Provision catering to our learners with Social, Emotional and Mental Health needs. We will be delivering a core curriculum to both KS3 and KS4 students, including vocational and creative subjects, physical education and outdoor adventurous activities. We work to the Ark Alexandra seven-year curriculum supported by subject specialist teachers in English, Maths and Science. We also deliver intensive social skills interventions and other appropriate small group and 1 to 1 interventions. Our purpose is to fit our students not only for the next destination in their academic careers but also for life.
For more information, please read the job description and person specification in the information pack available for download from the application website.
We’re looking for an individual who:
- Can deliver engaging and interactive lessons to students, with the ability to teach core subjects with specialist curriculum support
- Is or can demonstrate the potential to be a specialist in SEN, SEMH and alternative provision teaching
- Is able to communicate effectively with students of all abilities
- Cares about students, their learning, and their futures
- Can manage behaviour effectively to create a safe, respectful and nurturing environment so that students can focus on learning
- Is committed to actively researching your subject area and the areas of alternative provision and special education needs
Ark Alexandra is a two-campus secondary academy with a Sixth Form provision in Hastings, East Sussex and is the largest secondary with 6th form in the Ark network. A popular school, we have grown to have over 1,600 students this year. We work across a split site which brings with it unique opportunities for growth and development. At our most recent Ofsted inspection in September 2021, Leadership & Management, Behaviour & Attitudes, Personal Development and Sixth Form were all judged to be Good.
Ark Alexandra works closely with our feeder primary schools, Ark Blacklands, Ark Little Ridge and Ark Castledown, all of which have exceptional leadership graded as Outstanding by Ofsted.
As a Church of England school, our values of faith, excellence and kindness underpin our ethos, culture and behaviour. We have an inclusive admissions policy that welcomes, without preference, students of all faith and none. Our vision is to create a truly great school for the young people in Hastings. We believe that everyone deserves to be accepted, included, and empowered to live a purposeful and fulfilling life.
What we offer:
- Salary higher than the national pay scales
- Twice as many training days as standard and network-wide events with Ark colleagues, held by the best minds in education
- Weekly staff training designed to meet the needs of the school
- Coaching for every teacher
- Protected co-planning time
- Access to the high-quality, professional development, including nationally recognised qualifications such as the NPQML and NPQSL
- Opportunities to collaborate with colleagues across the network
How to apply:
Please click apply on the website you are visiting to complete an online application form by 9am on Tuesday 05 December 2023, however we will be reviewing applications on an on-going basis and this advert may close earlier than advertised depending on the level of response. Early application is strongly encouraged. You will be able to pause, save and log back in to complete your application up until the vacancy closes.
If you’re interested in further information about our school, please refer to the application button present at the bottom of this vacancy to find out more about Ark Schools, please read Why Join an Ark School? available for download from the application website.
To arrange an informal conversation about the role or an informal visit, please refer to the application button present at the bottom of this vacancy.
Ark is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people in its academies. In order to meet this responsibility, its academies follow a rigorous selection process to discourage and screen out unsuitable applicants.
Ark requires all employees to undertake an enhanced DBS check. You are required, before appointment, to disclose any unspent conviction, cautions, reprimands or warnings under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975. Non-disclosure may lead to termination of employment. However, disclosure of a criminal background will not necessarily debar you from employment – this will depend upon the nature of the offence(s) and when they occurred. To read more about Ark’s safer recruitment process, please click this link.