Ark Greenwich Free School
Job title: Head of Physical Education
Location: Greenwich – SE18 4LH
Salary: Ark MPS/UPS, Inner London
Working hours: Full Time
Start date: January or April 2024
Closing date: Thursday 30th November 2023
Ark Greenwich exists to empower young people, regardless of socio-economic background, to grow and be successful.
About the role:
As Head of PE, you will lead, develop and manage the effective delivery of an outstanding curriculum, which enables the highest level of progress and attainment. You will be part of the professional community of Middle Leadership and promote outstanding teaching and learning and a strong school culture within a nurturing, respectful and academically rigorous environment. The successful candidate will be capable of adding further value to a traditionally strong subject at the school. A passion for your subject and a commitment to extra-curricular activities including competitive sport is essential.
We invest heavily in our exciting PE department; dedicating 2 hours a week to PE for every scholar in KS3 and 1 hour at KS4 for core PE and 5 hours per fortnight at KS4 for GCSE PE. Scholars are involved with several high-quality extracurricular clubs including basketball, netball, rugby, cross country and netball. In 2022-2023 the department will also be launching the sports leadership programme. The department consists of the Head of PE, two full time PE teachers and a sports’ coach. Staff from other departments actively contribute to the PE extra-curricular programme.
This post would suit an ambitious, research-informed, subject specialist who is driven to develop a department that becomes a beacon of PE provision in the UK.
Our ideal candidate will be:
- Experience of raising attainment in a challenging classroom environment
- Experience of reflecting on and improving teaching practice to increase student achievement
- Understanding of the strategies needed to establish consistently high aspirations and standards of results and behaviour.
- Take responsibility for your own professional development and demonstrate a commitment to continuous professional development by undertaking, and seeking out, opportunities to build your capabilities as a teacher.
- Maintain an up-to-date expert knowledge of your subject area, related teaching pedagogy and relevant aspects of the National Curriculum, exam board requirements and other statutory provisions, including developments and reforms in broader education policy.
- Ensure you understand your professional responsibilities in relation to school policies and practices.
- Evaluate your own teaching critically and use this to improve your effectiveness.
- Support colleagues when working in your teacher learning communities.
View the full job description and person specification here.
About our school:
At Ark Greenwich Free School, we believe education has the power to transform lives; that’s why we strive for excellence in all that we do.
Our goal is for Ark Greenwich Free School to be the top choice for families in Greenwich, known for outstanding teaching, exemplary student behaviour, and unparalleled opportunities in and out of the classroom.
Ours is a close-knit community of staff, students and families. You’ll join a team of dedicated professionals who put students at the heart of every decision. We each play a vital role in making our school a secure, welcoming place to learn and grow.
Greenwich is our home, and we tailor our approach to serve this diverse, historic borough. We provide targeted support, challenge each student, and open doors to new experiences.
Learn more about our school and community by referring to the application button present at the bottom of this vacancy.
- Salaries 2.5% higher than main pay scale.
- Twice as many training days as standard.
- Generous pension scheme.
- Access to Ark rewards – a scheme offering savings from over 3,000 major retailers
- Interest-free loans – up to £5,000 available for season ticket or to buy a bicycle.
- Gym discounts – offering up to 40%.
- Access to Employee Assistance Programme – providing free, confidential counselling, legal advice and a range of different support.
Click here to find out more about the benefits we offer.
How to apply:
Please refer to the application button present at the bottom of this vacancy and submit your application. Please note we will be reviewing applications on an on-going basis and this advert may close earlier than advertised depending on the level of response. Early application is strongly advised.
If you wish to discuss this opportunity or for any questions, please refer to the application button present at the bottom of this vacancy.
Ark is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people in its academies. In order to meet this responsibility, its academies follow a rigorous selection process to discourage and screen out unsuitable applicants.
Ark requires all employees to undertake an enhanced DBS check. You are required, before appointment, to disclose any unspent conviction, cautions, reprimands or warnings under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975. Non-disclosure may lead to termination of employment. However, disclosure of a criminal background will not necessarily debar you from employment – this will depend upon the nature of the offence(s) and when they occurred. To read more about Ark’s safer recruitment process, please click this link.
We aim to build a diverse and inclusive organisation where everyone – staff and students – can do their best work and achieve their full potential. We want to reflect and represent diverse perspectives across our organisation because we know that doing so will make us stronger and more effective. To know more about Ark’s diversity and inclusion commitments, please click on this link.