Assistant Headteacher (Inclusion/SEND)
Avanti Park School
Post Title: Assistant Headteacher (Inclusion/SEND)
Responsible to: Principal
Salary: L6 -10
Job start: January 2021 or as soon as possible
Are you an inspirational leader with a passion for inclusion and improving the life chances of all pupils? If so, this is a chance to join the high achieving team at Avanti Park School.
Avanti Park is a community (non-denominational) middle (deemed primary) 3-13 maintained school located in the Somerset town of Frome.
Following an inspection in Autumn 2018 the school was placed in special measures. In response to the inspection, the school transitioned to Avanti Schools Trust in November 2019. As a Trust, we have moved with speed to begin the journey of improvement, appointed a new principal, restructured staffing and introduced a dynamic new curriculum.
We now wish to appoint an excellent Assistant Headteacher to lead the whole school SEND and ensure that pupils receive the support they need to be successful.
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
• a passion for delivering enhanced experiences and improved outcomes for pupils with additional and special educational needs, alongside exceptional specialist knowledge of SEND to ensure strategies have impact.
• considerable experience and expertise, proven impact and the ability to combine vision, strategy, energy and enthusiasm to lead inclusion across the school so that they can be a credible, respected senior leader
You need to:
• Have, or be working towards, a SENCO qualification
• Undergo DSL training
• Have extensive experience and skills in working with pupils with a range of SEND and be passionate about helping all our pupils to achieve their full potential
• Have excellent interpersonal, organizational, leadership and management skills
• Have the ability to relate to and communicate effectively with parents, colleagues and other professionals
• Have a strong commitment to innovative pastoral development, pupil support and staff development
• Be able to demonstrate how your work has had a significant impact on the whole school as part of a team
• Be well organized, hardworking and enthusiastic
• Be ready to be responsible as the SENCO for teacher development over SEND, EHCP processes and interventions
• Be an exceptional teacher with proven success of delivering excellent outcomes for students with SEND and all groups of students
• Be able to support and challenge, hold colleagues to account and deliver excellent outcomes
• Be committed to demonstrating high levels of presence, impact, transparency, integrity and emotional intelligence
• Be fully conversant with the statutory and accountability frameworks with regards to SEND
• Due to the nature of this role, it will be necessary for the appropriate level of criminal record disclosure to be undertaken. In making your application, it is essential you disclose whether you have any pending charges, convictions, bind-overs or cautions and, if so, for which offences. This post will be exempt from the provisions of Section 4 (2) of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. Therefore, applicants are not entitled to withhold information about convictions which for other purposes are ‘spent’ under the provision of the Act, and, in the event of the employment being taken up; any failure to disclose such convictions will result in dismissal or disciplinary action. The fact that a pending charge, conviction, bind-over or caution has been recorded against you will not necessarily debar you from consideration for this appointment.
• Avanti Schools Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and requires all staff, governors and volunteers to share this commitment. All offers of employment are required to have an Enhanced DBS check unless internally appointed and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will also be completed.
• We want to make sure we are attracting the widest possible range of people to Avanti Schools Trust and ensure that they are accepted, understood and treated equally when they work here. This means we will work hard to understand that each employee is unique and ensuring that individuals or groups are not treated differently or less favourably on the basis of specific characteristics.
• Such characteristics include (but are not limited to) age, disability, gender including transgender, race, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, and how the school supports pregnant women and new parents.
• Any appointment subsequently made will be subject to the receipt of satisfactory references and other pre-employment checks.
Applications should be by completion of the Avanti Schools Trust application form and submission of a covering statement of no more than 2 sides of A4 setting out how you meet the essential criteria of the role. This should be submitted by the closing date above to email@example.com The successful candidate will be required to sign the application declaration and GDPR declaration on appointment.
Interviews: Wednesday 14th October
For an informal discussion or more information about the role, please contact Carolyn Dickinson, SW Hub Director on 07376415626 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org