SALARY: £27,000 (FULL TIME), PLUS PENSION
FULL TIME, PART TIME AND TERM TIME CONTRACT CONSIDERED – FIXED TERM UNTIL 31 JULY 2021
LOCATION: WORKING ACROSS GROUP SITES IN STEVENAGE AND HITCHIN
Working collaboratively with our Student Services team and our teachers across the college, the Academic Coach will help students to develop the necessary study skills and behaviours to be successful during their time at college and beyond. You will work primarily with our students who have not yet been successful in achieving grade 4 in GCSE maths & English to ensure that this does not limit their ability to be successful in their current and future studies. You will also support our level 3 students by raising their aspirations around progression to higher education and developing the necessary academic skills needed for this.
This is a new, exciting and varied role at North Hertfordshire College and you will have the opportunity to engage with all different curriculum areas. Your week will consist of a range of activities and will include 1-2-1 intervention sessions with students, small group sessions with those needing support and delivering tutorial sessions around the use of resources and development of academic skills. You will become a familiar space to our students helping them to achieve their goals.
• Salary £27,000 (full time equivalent)
• Pension Scheme
• Participation in the Group’s performance related pay scheme.
The following provides examples of the types of things you will be involved with.
• Lead on the design, development and roll out of a support programme focused on raising academic standards and supporting students to be successful in the academic elements of their programme.
• Provide tailored 1-2-1 and small group sessions that support students to develop their study and academic skills.
• Working with our English team, provide cross-college activity that focuses on developing the standard of reading and writing.
• Lead on, alongside our student services team, the promotion of online resources.
• Lead on the delivery of sessions and development of resources linked to academic skill development.
• Lead on the development of tutorial support, sessions, campaigns and resources that raise the aspirations of our students around the opportunity to progress onto internal and external higher education programmes.
• Using data and information from our curriculum areas, target support for groups and individual students so as raise the number of students achieving high grades in their qualifications.
• Educated to degree level or above
• Minimum of GCSE grade 4 (or equivalent) in English and maths
• High levels of written and spoken English
• A strong understanding of the pastoral needs of students aged 16-19
• An ability to engage and motivate students
• Strong collaborator who easily builds relationships with colleagues
• Good communication and presentation skills, written and verbal
• Good levels of digital literacy
• Up-to-date working knowledge of Microsoft suite of applications
• Experience of working with young people in educational or other setting
• Holds a teaching qualification – either a PGCE, DET or CertEd
• Teaching experience
For more details and to apply, please visit https://www.nhc.ac.uk/work-for-us/our-vacancies/
Closing date: Monday 28th September at midday.
Please ensure you state whether you are looking for full time, part time or term time only work.