Oldham College is a great career choice for ambitious professionals. With a “good” Ofsted rating, a Silver “TEF” assessment for our higher education provision, one of the best apprenticeship programmes in the region, excellent 16-18 results and truly outstanding GCSE English results, we are already a high performer.
But we want to deliver much more than this. Our ambition is to be “The Best Place to Learn and Work” and we have a clear Strategic Plan which sets out what this means and what we will do to deliver it. We will keep on improving and innovating, and we are investing in new provision, new facilities and new technology.
We expect a lot from you, so we want ambitious, open minded candidates, who are ready to give their best. But we give a lot in return, from training to pensions, our own benefits package, and one of the best and most helpful group of colleagues you could ever wish to meet. That’s true, by the way – ask almost anyone who has been here. Or come and see for yourself.
If you want to be outstanding, and want to help us achieve the same thing, then please apply.
We are looking for:
• Programme Leader – Skills and Employability
• Salary £36,600 - £37,698
This is a very important role.
Alun Francis, our Principal, says, “This is a very important appointment, Skills and Employability is central to our plans for the future, and we are looking for high calibre candidates. We want people who love their subject area, are committed to keeping up to date, but also want the professional challenge of developing outstanding pedagogical practice. We are investing in the facilities, employer relationships and the skills and knowledge of our staff. We are looking for people who will respond to this, love their learners and enjoy the challenges and benefits of working at Oldham College”.
Alan Benvie, Assistant Principal says, “Oldham College is a highly inclusive organisation and our Faculty of Skills & Employability exemplifies the ethos described above. If you too believe foundation learners deserve the absolute best opportunities and have the talent to build on this award winning Faculty, then we want to hear from you. Make a real difference, read on and get in touch”.
Oldham College is a medium sized general further education college, with a turnover of almost £25m. It has one main campus in the centre of town, and this in the third phases of a £40m redevelopment which began in 2012. Higher education is taught on a second, dedicated campus, a short walk away. The College delivers a full range of work related education and training, including 16-18 programmes of study, T levels, apprenticeships, adult learning and higher education. It has over 5000 full-time students and 600 undergraduates.
The College is in the top quartile for 16-18 programmes of study and English GCSE resits, and in apprenticeship provision, but is the second highest performing provider Greater Manchester. The quality of its higher education provision is better than many established universities.
Joining our Journey:
When you join our college, our colleagues have access to numerous benefits and facilities:
• Generous Pension Scheme
• Fantastic Staff Benefits and Rewards platform
• Very generous holiday entitlement
• Employee Assistance Scheme
• Enhanced Maternity/Paternity provision
• Staff Development days/week (Jan, July, Aug)
• Free confidential counselling service
• Staff recognition awards
• Subsidised car parking
• On-site Day Nursery
• On-site hair and beauty salon and The Grange Theatre both offering staff discounts
As a Programme Leader you will play a key role in shaping the direction of our College. You will be responsible for your Curriculum Area (Foundation Programmes) and implement innovative changes to further improve the teaching and learning within the Faculty. You will also drive recruitment and engagement initiatives to grow this Faculties provision in line with our inclusion strategy. This is an excellent opportunity to have real impact in a College, which is moving at pace with strong support from its Senior Leadership team.
In this role, you will:
• Be expected to be highly organised, with excellent time management and administrative skills. You will be providing a supportive and professional environment for your team to continue to achieve the highest standards of curriculum and progression opportunities for students. You must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and show a flexible and professional attitude to managing a team of specialist foundation level Tutors
• Facilitate learning experiences which provide students with the opportunity to achieve their full individual potential
• Design and deliver a flexible and relevant range of provision including theory, practical and tutorial sessions
• Be a great teacher and role model in delivering innovative and stimulating teaching, learning and assessment to enable your students to progress
• Be bold, optimistic and tenacious in setting and achieving high standards
• Drive Oldham College’s vision and expectations to have a significant impact on students’ life chances
You must be educated to degree level or equivalent, have a teaching qualification and extensive experience of working with challenging young people from a range of backgrounds. Our Skills & Employability Faculty is highly inclusive and provides life changing opportunities for its students, you will need to demonstrate a strong track record of working in this type of environment. Experience of working in the FE sector is desirable.
Further details including a Person Specification are included within the attached Job Description.
The role will require you to embed and work to the college’s values; working with Integrity, having Ambition to help our learners succeed and being Inclusive to learners and colleagues alike.
To apply for this vacancy please email an up to date CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org before the closing date of Wednesday 19th August 2020. Interviews will take place between 1st and 4th September 2020.