Bournemouth & Poole College has an exciting opportunity for a Science Technician to join their team in Poole. You will be joining on a part time, permanent basis (22.2 hours per week for 38 weeks per year during term time only) and in return you will receive a competitive hourly rate of £15,451 - £17,581 per annum (pro rata).
Bournemouth & Poole College are the largest provider of further education and apprentices within the area. We have around 11,000 students that are from across the UK and the world. Our passion is to ensure students are qualified, find jobs and can progress in their career. We are proud to say our apprenticeships training ranks in the top 30% of colleges and we work with over 2,000 businesses.
The Science Technician role:
You will facilitate the affective running of laboratories and other science facilities, and to assist and support teaching staff in the preparation of practical / demonstration activities for a range of health, medical and forensic science courses, whilst ensuring that adherence to Health and Safety requirements are maintained at all times.
As our Science Technician, you will:
- Prepare, set up, operate equipment, materials and apparatus as directed, reclaiming reusable materials and disposing of out of date materials and equipment.
- Maintain, calibrate, repair and fabricate apparatus and equipment, including assisting with demonstration of such apparatus and equipment.
- Maintain an adequate supply of materials and equipment will involve ordering from suppliers and chasing orders to ensure they arrive on time, both by telephone and email.
- Issue and receive materials, equipment and apparatus from stores.
- Prepare and update department inventory records.
- Checking deliveries in reference to the previous order, report and follow up and discrepancies.
- Assist with experiments and practical projects in laboratories, workrooms and in simulation settings.
- Assist academic staff in the production of training and learning materials as appropriate.
- Assist and support students in carrying out various laboratory techniques and projects.
The ideal Science Technician will need:
- Current practice / knowledge of Health and Safety regulations and procedures for working in a laboratory setting and working with hazardous chemicals.
- Knowledge of a range of practical science techniques at Level 2 and Level 3
- Experience in working within a science laboratory environment
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Excellent range of I.T. skills
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong Science / Education background
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Flexible and adaptable attitude to working with students of all ages
- Minimum of a Level 3 Qualification in a core science specialism
- Willingness to undertake occasional weekend and evening work for example Open Evenings, Employer Liaison, Career Events.
As a member of support staff at Bournemouth & Poole College you can expect to receive excellent benefits including:
- 26 days annual leave plus bank holidays, increasing to 29 after 5 years' service with the College
- up to 5 days leave during the Christmas closure period
- Free parking at all of our college sites (where spaces are available)
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Enrolment into the Local Government Pension Scheme
Closing Date : 31 May 2020
If you feel you are the right candidate for this Science Technician role then please click ‘apply’ now! We’d love to hear from you!
The College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all staff to share this commitment. The successful applicant will be required to undertake appropriate safeguarding checks which includes an enhanced DBS check as well as providing proof of right to work in the UK.