Bournemouth & Poole College has an exciting opportunity for a driven and committed Student Welfare Coach to join their team in Fulcrum. Joining on a part time permanent basis – 15 hours per week (term time only), you will receive a competitive salary of £20,500 Pro Rata.
Bournemouth & Poole College are the largest provider of further education and apprentices within the area. We have around 11,000 students that are from across the UK and the world. Our passion is to ensure students are qualified, find jobs and can progress in their career. We are proud to say our apprenticeships training ranks in the top 30% of colleges and we work with over 2,000 business.
Department: Student Support
Job Type: Permanent
Employment Basis: Term time only, part time hours
Working hours per week: 15
Location: The Fulcrum, Tower Park, Poole
Salary: Scale 5 Fixed Point 28
Closing date: 26/01/2020
The Student Welfare Coach Role:
You will work across the college within a team providing personal support primarily to full-time learners that are deemed ‘At Risk ‘on a number of pastoral topics referring to support within Student Support and the wider Student Experience directorate as appropriate with regular one-to-one’s appropriately recorded.
You will act as a Designated Safeguarding Officer, referring internally and externally, sharing information and reports as appropriate.
Working hours: Monday 10am-3pm, Tuesday 10am-3pm, Thursday 10am-3pm
As our Student Welfare Coach you will:
- Identification and agree actions in the supporting of at risk students with appropriate staff.
- Providing 121 support as required, to share and collect data of the support given to these students.
- Take responsibility for a caseload of students that are deemed ‘At risk’.
- To take responsibility for dealing with external agencies
- To assist the wider student experience team with new and ongoing projects and awareness campaigns.
- Work collaboratively as part of the Wellbeing team and provide cover for other members of the team, as required
- To be a Designated Safeguarding Officer.
- To take ownership of designated aspect lead role within the safeguarding team
- To be a key contact person for information for students on all college services and activities
- Monitor customer satisfaction and continually seek ways of improving the service.
The ideal Student Welfare Coach will need:
- Knowledge and understanding of emotional support needs of adolescents
- Ability to relate to and motivate young people and staff from diverse backgrounds and with diverse educational experiences
- Knowledge of external support services
- A broad knowledge of the issues facing young people in post-16 education
- Be able to identify situations where referral is appropriate for staff and students
- Recent experience of working with young people aged 14-19
- Experience of negotiating with and on behalf of others
- Experience in liaising effectively with tutors and outside agencies
- Recent experience in safeguarding children
- Ability to work within College policies on confidentiality and child protection
- Ability to develop creative approaches to problem solving.
- Experience of looking at data and effectively acting upon finding
- A relevant Level 3 qualification ice Youth work/Social care
As a member of support staff at Bournemouth & Poole College you can expect to receive a market rate salary and excellent benefits including:
- 26 days annual leave plus bank holidays, increasing to 29 after 5 years' service with the College
- up to 5 days leave during the Christmas closure period
- Free parking at all of our college sites (where spaces are available)
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Enrolment into the Local Government Pension Scheme
Closing date: 26th January 2020
If you feel you are the right candidate for this Student Welfare Coach rolethen please click ‘apply’ now! We’d love to hear from you!
The College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all staff to share this commitment. The successful applicant will be required to undertake appropriate safeguarding checks which includes an enhanced DBS check as well as providing proof of right to work in the UK.