Location: HMP Wakefield, WF2 9AG
Milton Keynes College have an opportunity for a passionate Maths Lecturer who believes in the power of transforming lives through learning.
If you can effectively engage with learners and can demonstrate excellent classroom management skills we would like you to be part our education team based at HMP Wakefield.
As a Maths Lecturer, you will be delivering Maths to diverse groups of learners based within the prison. Working in a prison environment can be challenging but highly rewarding and varied. The role will include teaching across a range of provision from Entry to Level 2.
Milton Keynes College is passionate about reducing re-offending by providing learners with qualifications and skills that they can apply to employment whilst in custody and upon release. We would like you to be part of the learner’s journey, offering your skills and knowledge to guide them throughout their courses.
If you are highly motivated with a can-do approach to education, this is a great opportunity for you!
Location: HMP Wakefield, WF2 9AG
Hours: 37 hours per week, 52 weeks per year
Salary: £18,015 - £32,578 per annum
Closing date: Wednesday 22nd January 2020
Milton Keynes College Rewards:
• 35 days annual leave, 3 additional days leave for Christmas to New Year closure and UK Bank Holidays
• Amazing discounts with NUS card or Blue Light Card , ranging from Eating Out, Shopping and Fashion, Health and Fitness, Music, Technology, Travel and Entertainment
• Access to an employee wellbeing platform with options to book free activities such as yoga, relaxation, boot camp, personal training and a health and wellbeing news hub
• Access to Teachers Pension Scheme with generous employer contributions
• Tax free childcare scheme
• Access to Continued Professional Development, including professional qualifications and a variety of training courses
• Save up to 32% off all bikes through our Cycle To Work Scheme
• 24 hours per day, 365 days per year Employee Assistant Support Programme
• Plus many more…
About HMP Wakefield:
HMP Wakefield is a high security establishment holding category A and B prisoners with a capacity of around 750. The vast majority of prisoners are serving sentences of more than 10 years, and include some of the most challenging and complex prisoners. The main aim is towards the settlement and enabling of offenders to engage with programmes to reduce their risk and supporting them with their long term stay.
Education at HMP Wakefield takes place mainly within one education building, with further delivery offered across the estate on outreach. Education is available on both a full time and part-time basis (depending on specific courses) and is delivered over nine sessions from Monday to Friday lunchtime.
As a successful candidate, you will:
• Hold a relevant qualification (level 3 or above).
• Hold a recognised teaching qualification (DTLLS, PGCE, Cert Ed) or willing to work towards
• Hold relevant assessor/verifier awards.
• Have teaching/training or vocational experience in relevant subject area and relevant up-to-date knowledge.
• Have a proven track record of managing and supporting diverse groups of learners through nationally accredited programmes.
• Have experience of identifying, developing and sharing innovative and creative teaching resources
• Have experience of working with students who may have little experience of education and training (desirable).
• Have knowledge of current curriculum and accreditation developments within Further Education and specific subject area(s).
• Have the ability to teach creatively, adapting to the needs of a variety of learners and willing to explore new teaching and learning strategies.
• Have good IT skills and willing to develop further.
• Show accuracy and precision in written presentation.
• The requirement of this role is to work across the whole prison estate, on all wings where education is delivered.
More about the College:
Milton Keynes College is proud to be an open and inclusive general Further Education College welcoming learners of all levels and delivering an exceptional educational experience. The College offers a broad range of qualifications with more than 3,000 16 – 18-year-old full-time students studying vocational courses, apprenticeships and Higher Education at our campuses in Milton Keynes. In addition, the College delivers employability and skills training programmes to 3,000 people in local community learning centres. For nearly 30 years, we have worked with offenders in both custody, and the wider community and currently work with 19 prisons across England; this
includes 13 prisons, which make up the Long Term High Security Estate, and 6 category B, C & D men’s prisons.
Milton Keynes College is a committed safer recruitment employer in line with Keeping Children Safe in Education. We take extreme care in ensuring the safety and welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. All positions therefore undergo a thorough on boarding process to include DBS. In addition, security clearance is required for all prison services positions.
Milton Keynes College has been officially recognised for its commitment and approach to equality, diversity and inclusion. It has been awarded the much sought-after Leaders in Diversity accreditation from the National Centre for Diversity. The award recognises the College’s clear ethos and values and a belief in the importance of diversity.