Teacher of Maths
Ark Kings Academy
Salary ; Ark MPS/UPS Outside London
Salary To £24,982 – £43,992
Ark Kings - a small school, big family; transforming the lives of our students
Start date: January 2020 or sooner
Salary: Ark MPS/UPS Outside London (£24,313 – £41,366)
Location: Kings Norton, Birmingham
Nearest train station/transport links: five minute drive from the M42, Junction 2, Kings Norton Station (25 mins walk), bus routes including the 35, 45, 49 and 84
Due to the expansion of our school, we are always looking for excellent teachers and leaders. We will therefore be considering applications throughout the duration of the advert and will let you know whether you have been shortlisted and selected for interview following submission of your application.
Ofsted: Good in all areas (2016)
Visits to our school are encouraged; to arrange, please call 0121 459 4451.
In 2015, Ark Kings Academy was named as the most improved academy in the country, and was rated ‘Good’ in all areas by Ofsted in October 2016. In April 2017 we moved into our brand new school building and in September 2017 we became an all through school with students from Reception to year 11. It is therefore a very exciting time to be joining Ark Kings as part of our schools’ transformation.
We are looking to recruit a Maths Teacher to be play an integral part in our journey to outstanding. Your role will include:
· Planning and teaching well-structured, differentiated maths lessons that are aligned to the agreed curriculum and cultivate every student’s intellectual curiosity
· Demonstrating commitment to raising attainment of all pupils, as part of a resilient and talented body of staff who work tirelessly every day to transform the life chances of young people
· Working collaboratively with both school and network colleagues as a committed team member, building successful, high performing teams
Staff development is key to our school improvement plan. Expectations are high and there is an array of tailored support and development opportunities available to help you reach them. At Ark Kings you will have access to:
• Online training, and bespoke learning and mentoring programmes
• Twice the standard number of training days for teachers throughout the year (10 days)
• Dedicated co-planning time
• High quality training from the Ark Network
• Hub Days - three times a year, people working in specific roles or subject areas get together to share best practice and deepen their subject knowledge with peers from across the Ark network.
Our behaviour system, means that teachers can focus on getting the best possible outcomes for students. Extra free periods are built into the school day to enable you have the time to get things done – whether that’s training, lesson planning or meetings.
As a teacher at Ark Kings Academy, you will be part of Ark, an international charity and one of the UK's most successful multi-academy trusts, with a network of 35 schools in 4 locations across the country. Click here to find out more about the benefits of work for Ark Kings Academy.
Visit our website for more information on the school. For an informal, confidential discussion, please contact us on 0121 459 4451 or the Recruitment Team on email@example.com or 0203 116 6345 for any application form enquiries
Please submit your application online by visiting www.arkonline.org/careers
Ark is committed to safeguarding children; successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.
Job Description: Maths Teacher
Reports to: Head of Maths
Salary: Ark MPS/UPS Outside London (£24,313 – £41,366)
To deliver outstanding teaching and learning of Maths and therefore help students achieve excellent academic results, and be a role-model/impact the academy more widely.
To design an engaging and challenging curriculum that inspires children to appreciate the subject and its application.
· To plan, resource and deliver lessons and sequences of lessons to the highest standard that ensure real learning takes place and students make superior progress
· To provide a nurturing classroom and academy environment that helps students to develop as learners
· To help to maintain/establish discipline across the whole academy
· To contribute to the effective working of the academy.
Outcomes and Activities
Teaching and Learning
· Enrich the curriculum with trips and visits to enhance the learning experience of all students
· With direction from the Head of Department and within the context of the academy’s curriculum and schemes of work, plan and prepare effective teaching modules and lessons
· Teach engaging and effective lessons that motivate, inspire and improve pupil attainment
· Use regular assessments to set targets for students, monitor student progress and respond accordingly to the results of such monitoring
· To produce/contribute to oral and written assessments, reports and references relating to individual and groups of pupils
· Develop plans and processes for the classroom with measurable results and evaluate those results to make improvements in student achievement
· Ensure that all students achieve at least at chronological age level or, if well below level, make significant and continuing progress towards achieving at chronological age level
· Maintain regular and productive communication with pupils, parents and carers, to report on progress, sanctions and rewards and all other communications
· Provide or contribute to oral and written assessments, reports and references relating to individual pupils and groups of pupils
· Direct and supervise support staff assigned to lessons and when required participate in related recruitment and selection activities
· Implement and adhere to the academies behaviour management policy, ensuring the health and well-being of pupils is maintained at all times
· Participate in preparing pupils for external examinations.
· Support the academy’s values and ethos by contributing to the development and implementation of policies practices and procedures
· Help create a strong academy community, characterised by consistent, orderly behaviour and caring, respectful relationships
· Help develop a small school/department culture and ethos that is utterly committed to achievement
· To be active in issues of student welfare and support
· Support and work in collaboration with colleagues and other professional in and beyond the school, covering lessons and providing other support as required.
· Undertake, and when required, deliver or be part of the appraisal system and relevant training and professional development
· Undertake other various responsibilities as directed by the Head of Department or Principal.
Person Specification: Maths Teacher
· Qualified to degree level or above.
· Qualified to teach and work in the UK.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
· Demonstrable commitment to raising attainment of all pupils in a challenging classroom environment
· Excellent understanding of both subject and general teaching pedagogy
· Mastery of and enthusiasm for Science
· Effective and systematic behaviour management
· Knowledge of the national secondary education system, examinations and curriculum
· Be or demonstrate the potential to become an outstanding teacher
· Genuine passion for and a belief in the potential of every student
· Deep commitment to Ark’s mission of providing an excellent education to every student, regardless of background
· Excellent interpersonal, planning and organisational skills
· Resilient, motivated and committed to achieving excellence
· Reflective and proactive in seeking feedback to constantly improve practice
· Commitment to regular and on-going professional development and training to establish outstanding classroom practice
· Commitment to and understanding of professionalism in line with the National Teaching Standards
· Commitment to equality of opportunity and the safeguarding and welfare of all pupils
· Willingness to undertake training
· This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check
Ark is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people in our academies. In order to meet this responsibility, we follow a rigorous selection process. This process is outlined here, but can be provided in more detail if requested. All successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.