About Volunteer It Yourself (VIY)
VIY combines volunteering and DIY by challenging young people aged 14-24 to learn trade and building skills, on the job, by helping to refurbish and transform youth and community facilities in need of essential improvements (e.g. youth clubs, community centres, sports clubs, and arts, music and cultural venues).
The majority of young people who take part and benefit are disengaged or excluded from mainstream education and training, at risk of disengagement, and/or unemployed.
VIY participants are mentored by professional tradespeople and gain City & Guilds Entry Level 3 accreditations as well as access to further training, work placement and apprenticeship opportunities with local providers and employers beyond the project.
VIY launched in 2011 and, to date, over 350 youth and community buildings across England and Wales have been repaired/refurbished, involving 7,000 young people and 900 trade skills mentors, with 4,000 young people gaining a City & Guilds accreditation.
VIY is scaling rapidly, reaching and benefitting even more young people and communities with the support of our partners, including Wickes, Careers & Enterprise Company, Sport England, Music Venue Trust, multiple local authorities, and other grant funders and commissioners.
VIY has been delivering construction skills training awarded through City & Guilds since 2012. Whilst VIY has directly managed and delivered the training provision and been responsible for most aspects of the learner journey through our own resources and assets (e.g. multiple training/project sites, network of skills mentors), the accreditation of the learners has been coordinated via a third party City & Guilds approved provider of assessment and IQA services. However, VIY has been recently approved as a City & Guilds training centre itself. As such, we are now looking for a driven IQA to join the team at this exciting stage.
We are looking for someone with a minimum of five years’ experience as an IQA, to support our mentors and assessors to help our learners to successfully achieve their City & Guilds accreditations. The IQA will be responsible for assessing the development and quality of VIY’s training processes and standards and internally assuring the quality of assessment.
The IQA will report into the Programme Director and Operations Director.
Accountable to: Programme Director and Operations Director
Location: VIY’s HQ is in Farringdon, Central London. However, as we deliver UK-wide, the IQA will be required to spend time travelling/visiting projects across the country. We are open to the IQA being based outside of London.
● To lead and support a team of assessors and mentors to help learners successfully the gain accreditations
● To confirm Schemes of Work and Lesson Plans meet the requirements of City & Guilds
● To ensure Learner’s Individual Learning Plans are being followed
● To be in charge of monitoring and tracking the assessment and verification procedure
● To ensure the compilation of portfolios and to monitor the quality of evidence
● To carry out assessor and mentor observations
● To prepare sampling plans for internal verification
● To set up, prepare and minute standardisation meetings
● To organise and oversee EQA visits
● To follow up with any action points from EQA visits
● To help drive continuous improvement, including CPD
Terms and conditions
Salary: Negotiable, depending on experience
Hours: Initially part time, with potential to grow into a full-time contract
For more information:
Joe McGinn, firstname.lastname@example.org