Location: HMP Gartree, Market Harborough, LE16 7RP
Expiry date: 23:59, 25 August 2019
Location: Market Harborough
Salary: £18,015.00 - £32,578.00 Pro Rata
Benefits: Excellent Benefits
Milton Keynes College are recruiting for a Painting and Decorating Lecturer/Tutor/Teacher to join the fantastic education team at HMP Gartree on a part time basis.
You will be achieving high learner success through effective teaching and delivery of Painting and Decorating. Using you industry skills and expertise, you will inspire learners within the prison to complete qualifications, develop confidence and gain experience they can apply to sustainable employment upon release.
As a creative and passionate Painting and decorating tutor, you will deliver a mixture of level 1 and 2 qualifications and achieve 13 successes during the course of the curriculum year.
You will be working with a small group of well-behaved learners who learn through practical activities. These learners are focussed and extremely motivated and are looking to learn valuable vocational skills which will progress their career in custody and increase their employment opportunities upon release.
You will also help to develop a strong vocational programme that meets the needs of the learners, prison and Milton Keynes College.
This vacancy would suit a highly motivated Painting and Decorating teacher, with a can do approach to education. The ideal candidate will be a passionate and creative lecturer, who can offer skills & knowledge to our learners and guide them throughout their courses.
Location: HMP Gartree, Market Harborough, LE16 7RP
Hours: 24.5 hours per week, 52 weeks per year
Salary: £18,015 - £32,578 pro rata
Closing date: Sunday 25th August 2019
Milton Keynes College Rewards:
• 35 days annual leave (pro rata), 3 additional days leave for Christmas to New Year closure and UK Bank Holidays
• Amazing discounts with NUS card or Blue Light Card , ranging from Eating Out, Shopping and Fashion, Health and Fitness, Music, Technology, Travel and Entertainment
• Access to an employee wellbeing platform with options to book free activities such as yoga, relaxation, boot camp, personal training and a health and wellbeing news hub
• Access to Teachers Pension Scheme with generous employer contributions
• Tax free childcare scheme
• Access to Continued Professional Development, including professional qualifications and a variety of training courses
• Save up to 32% off all bikes through our Cycle To Work Scheme
• 24 hours per day, 365 days per year Employee Assistant Support Programme
• Plus many more…
About HMP Gartree:
HMP Gartree is a Cat B lifer prison which houses just over 700 life sentence prisoners. The education department offers a wide range of courses which include Functional Skills maths and English and ESOL, a wide range of GCSE’s, Peer Mentoring and a good suite of both Art and ICT qualifications that include Web design and E-image. NVQ’s in Catering are also delivered with excellent facilities and” hands on” experience in our own Flavours staff restaurant.
We are a small department who are passionate about our learners, strive for quality and believe we can help change lives through learning. We have successful working relationships with all the other agencies in the prison who value our contribution to the lifer journey and beyond.
As a successful candidate, you will:
• Hold a relevant qualification (level 3 or above).
• Hold a recognised teaching qualification (DTLLS, PGCE, Cert Ed) or willing to work towards
• Hold relevant assessor/verifier awards.
• Have teaching/training or vocational experience in relevant subject area and relevant up-to-date knowledge.
• Have a proven track record of managing and supporting diverse groups of learners through nationally accredited programmes.
• Have experience of identifying, developing and sharing innovative and creative teaching resources
• Have experience of working with students who may have little experience of education and training (desirable).
• Have knowledge of current curriculum and accreditation developments within Further Education and specific subject area(s).
• Have the ability to teach creatively, adapting to the needs of a variety of learners and willing to explore new teaching and learning strategies.
• Have good IT skills and willing to develop further.
• Show accuracy and precision in written presentation.
• The requirement of this role is to work across the whole prison estate, on all wings where education is delivered.
More about the College:
Milton Keynes College is proud to be an open and inclusive general Further Education College welcoming learners of all levels and delivering an exceptional educational experience. The College offers a broad range of qualifications with more than 3,000 16 – 18-year-old full-time students studying vocational courses, apprenticeships and Higher Education at our campuses in Milton Keynes. In addition, the College delivers employability and skills training programmes to 3,000 people in local community learning centres. For nearly 30 years, we have worked with offenders in both custody, and the wider community and currently work with 19 prisons across England; this includes 13 prisons, which make up the Long Term High Security Estate, and 6 category B, C & D men’s prisons.
Milton Keynes College is a committed safer recruitment employer in line with Keeping Children Safe in Education. We take extreme care in ensuring the safety and welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. All positions therefore undergo a thorough on boarding process to include DBS. In addition, security clearance is required for all prison services positions.
Milton Keynes College has been officially recognised for its commitment and approach to equality, diversity and inclusion. It has been awarded the much sought-after Leaders in Diversity accreditation from the National Centre for Diversity. The award recognises the College’s clear ethos and values and a belief in the importance of diversity.