Location: HMP Frankland, Durham
HMP Frankland’s education department have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Education Manager to join their Milton Keynes College Prison Education team. As Education Manager, you will demonstrate clear, decisive and enterprising leadership in the effective and efficient management of all aspects of the Department’s work.
The Education Manager will support growth within the department by leading standards, driving team performance, focusing on relationship management with key stakeholders and setting the direction of the department. Taking forward the work of the Department ensuring its long-term sustainability through the development of new products and services, which meet the needs of students and key stakeholders.
The successful candidate will have management experience and be able to inspire and challenge staff to create a dynamic culture of innovation with outstanding learning, teaching and student success throughout. You will lead the department in raising standards through the rigorous implementation of target setting, continuous performance management and quality improvement.
Location: HMP Frankland, Durham, DH1 5YA
Hours: 37 hours per week, 52 weeks per year
Salary: £33,235 - £38,686 per annum
Closing date: 25th August 2019
Milton Keynes College Rewards:
• 35 days annual leave, 3 additional days leave for Christmas to New Year closure and UK Bank Holidays
• Amazing discounts with NUS card or Blue Light Card , ranging from Eating Out, Shopping and Fashion, Health and Fitness, Music, Technology, Travel and Entertainment
• Access to an employee wellbeing platform with options to book free activities such as yoga, relaxation, boot camp, personal training and a health and wellbeing news hub
• Access to Teachers Pension Scheme with generous employer contributions
• Tax free childcare scheme
• Access to Continued Professional Development, including professional qualifications and a variety of training courses
• Save up to 32% off all bikes through our Cycle To Work Scheme
• 24 hours per day, 365 days per year Employee Assistant Support Programme
• Plus many more…
About HMP Frankland:
HMP Frankland, originally opened in 1980, is a High Security prison holding Category A, Category A High Risk and Category B adult males. Situated in County Durham near the village of Brasside.
HMP Frankland currently has 843 prisoners, over a quarter of which are classed as category A. There are 3 delivery areas within the prison – Vulnerable Prisoners, Main Location and The Separation Centre. Vulnerable prisoners make up nearly half of the total prison population.
Frankland manages complex prisoners which are convicted for 4 years or more with an average sentence of 10 years plus. Due to the length of sentences, the prison population overall is stable and within the education department learners are keen to engage.
The curriculum includes but is not limited to Functional Skills English and Maths – up to level 2, Business admin, IT and Distance Learning. There is a focus on social enterprise with classes such as card making and woodwork/production of wooden products.
As a successful candidate you will:
• Have proven teaching and/or relevant commercial experience.
• Hold a recognised qualification in Leadership & Management (or be willing to work towards, by partaking in the College Leadership & Management Apprenticeship Programme) (Essential)
• Have proven experience of managing teams in a challenging environment, effectively managing tensions as they arise.
• Hold a teaching qualification and ideally Assessor/Verifier awards.
• Have a degree or equivalent qualification.
• Have well developed organisational, communication and interpersonal skills.
• Have experience of effectively implementing and managing quality improvement processes.
• Display energy, drive and an entrepreneurial attitude to work.
• Have considerable curriculum development experience and be able to articulate an attractive curriculum vision.
• The requirement of this role is to work across the whole prison estate, on all wings where education is delivered
More about the College:
Milton Keynes College is proud to be an open and inclusive general Further Education College welcoming learners of all levels and delivering an exceptional educational experience. The College offers a broad range of qualifications with more than 3,000 16 – 18-year-old full-time students studying vocational courses, apprenticeships and Higher Education at our campuses in Milton Keynes. In addition, the College delivers employability and skills training programmes to 3,000 people in local community learning centres. For nearly 30 years, we have worked with offenders in both custody, and the wider community and currently work with 19 prisons across England; this includes 13 prisons, which make up the Long Term High Security Estate, and 6 category B, C & D men’s prisons.
Milton Keynes College is a committed safer recruitment employer in line with Keeping Children Safe in Education. We take extreme care in ensuring the safety and welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. All positions therefore undergo a thorough on boarding process to include DBS. In addition, security clearance is required for all prison services positions.
Milton Keynes College has been officially recognised for its commitment and approach to equality, diversity and inclusion. It has been awarded the much sought-after Leaders in Diversity accreditation from the National Centre for Diversity. The award recognises the College’s clear ethos and values and a belief in the importance of diversity.