Job Title: Senior Product Manager - Education
Location: Swindon, Wiltshire
Salary: Up to £50,000 p.a.
Working Hours: Monday to Friday 9.15 am – 17.15 pm
Contract Type: Permanent
Closing date: 07 June 2019
Are you experienced in executing product strategy and go-to market plans within the Education space? Are you are looking for a challenge in a supportive environment? If so, we would love to hear from you.
Inviting applications from product managers and senior product developers with a strong education and qualifications background for this senior role with The Chartered Institute for IT.
The Chartered Institute for IT is recruiting for a senior product manager to join our education department, in a permanent capacity to work full-time from our Swindon offices in this exciting and challenging role.
BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT, is committed to making IT good for society. We use the power of our network to bring about positive, tangible change. We champion the global IT profession and the interests of individuals, engaged in that profession, for the benefit of all.
About the Role:
Management of and responsibility for the Education product and services portfolio ensuring products and services are defined, developed and rolled out successfully to deliver growth, reach, revenue and profit targets.
Ownership of our strategic product partner relationships that relate to the Education portfolio.
Management of the Education Product Management Team (Product managers and developers), their objectives and activities to ensure BCS has a cohesive, relevant and profitable product strategy defined to support the delivery of BCS Group strategic goals, including those around growth, reach, revenue and profit.
• Create and own the 3-year Product Plan for Education in conjunction with any direct reports within Education to ensure agreed growth, reach, revenue and profit goals are met. Ensure the product plan covers the existing portfolio and new products for the Education market. Ensure this product plan is developed in conjunction with the wider BCS Education team to meet the overall Group Education strategy (e.g. Academy team, Policy team etc);
• Continually review the commercial viability of the existing product set to ensure it maximises growth opportunities in the marketplace. Monitor and report monthly on performance of all products, managing reporting and analyses of income and expenditure for all practice areas and identifying risks and mitigation strategies as necessary;
• Lead and co-ordinate research projects to help to understand customer needs in the Education marketplace to develop new products and services that will enable the portfolio to grow and be refreshed BCS’s position in the market to become more established. This research will involve working with suppliers, employers, training providers and schools;
• Create and evaluate business cases for development activity for new or existing products. Assess them for commercial viability and decide which developments to recommend for forward action. Progress into project planning, working collaboratively with cross BCS departments to ensure successful product development and launch to market;
• Where a product involves licensing from, or jointly developing IP with a third party, lead and own the overall relationship management with the partner to ensure a multi-level relationship is created across both organisations. Specific partners currently include: ECDL Foundation;
• Partner management also includes co-ordinating the relevant product partnership governance and BCS resources to deliver key partnership activities including the following and to be the central point of contact for these activities:
o Strategy discussions and overall partner plan;
o Contract negotiations in conjunction with relevant Director, Product manager and Sourcing Manager;
o Product implementations;
o Operational activities;
o Marketing plan activities
• Set appropriate KPIs with the partner and be accountable for all performance activity reporting based on these KPIs, both internally and externally to the product partner;
• Be the product lead for key supplier and channel partners to ensure effective delivery of the Education portfolio. These partners currently include: PSI;
• Own the product development process for Education, ensuring development is completed within agreed timescales, budgets and processes for development and assessment. Ensure continual improvement of the product development process, working closely with other Senior Product Managers to ensure a consistent approach within BCS. Ensure compliance with relevant regulations and third party requirements in the product development process (e.g. OfQual, ESFA, GDPR etc);
• Prioritise products released to market balancing demand and capability while working collaboratively with Product Development, Systems, Marketing and Sales to deliver successful roll outs. To take a leading role in checking technical content and relevance for all product produced;
• Be the focal point of knowledge for the Education market, competitor & customer base. Own action plans to drive the growth of existing products, respond to competitor activity and develop new business proposals, amending product strategy as necessary;
• Manage the product marketing elements of customer focus, pricing, packaging, prioritisation and sales enablement (promotion, tools etc) working in conjunction with other relevant departments. Produce Marketing briefs and product content for Marketing. Be responsible for assisting Marketing in maintaining the Education product area on the BCS website;
• Support, coach, mentor and manage your team to ensure fair, consistent approach of workloads and development to produce a highly effective team;
• Flexibility is required of all job holders to adjust responsibilities as required from time to time by their Line Manager/Divisional Director;
• All staff will live the BCS’ values and support our purpose;
• Continually looking at ways to make improvements to systems, processes and procedures;
• The content and reporting lines detailed in this job description may be reviewed and changed from time to time to reflect organisational requirements.
Who we are looking for:
Education and qualifications
• Educated to degree level or equivalent
• Demonstrable experience and a track record of success in Product Management, marketing or Sales & Services.
• Significant experience negotiating commercial and contractual terms successfully
• Significant experience of developing and assessing the viability of business cases, budgets and plans
• Significant experience of product development and delivery management of qualifications within a regulated marketplace
• Significant experience of working with the Education market at different levels e.g. Schools, FE, HE.
• Significant experience of managing and tracking budgets
• Significant experience of managing effective and highly performing teams
• Significant experience of motivating, leading teams under a organisation/departmental strategy
Competencies and skills
• Critical & creative thinking, problem solving.
• Able to assess the viability of a group of products and implement change to ensure it maximises growth opportunities in the marketplace.
• Ability to build effective and strong interpersonal relationships – relates easily and effectively to colleagues, customers, suppliers and partners.
• Excellent communication, influencing and negotiating skills at all levels and a confident presenter.
• Ability to present to a wide range of audiences, providers employers, government departments etc
• Data Analysis – the ability to monitor and collect research data to assess accuracy, validity, and viability of a group of products. To interpret and evaluate results, create reports and presentations with the purpose of implementing agreed changes to maximise growth opportunities within the marketplace.
• Financial accountability and management: ability to manage budgets against an agreed cost model.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Self-motivated with the ability to work both independently and as part of a team
• Ability to prioritise workloads of self and others in order to meet deadlines
• Highly organised and results oriented. Follows through appropriately
• Ability to identify areas for improvement within your department
• General knowledge across a broad range of IT related areas
• Knowledge of the Education marketplace in particular the qualifications market.
• Understanding of Awarding Organisations; funding and the regulated marketplace (e.g. Ofqual, ESFA, DfE etc)
• Offsite visits to London office, clients, partners, suppliers and presenting at external events may be required.
• Some out of hours working may be required.
BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT is dedicated to providing training and development to help all staff realise their potential, and also offer a generous benefit package, including 23 days annual leave, contributory pension scheme, life assurance, PMI, parking and more.
BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT are committed to promoting equality at every opportunity as an employer. This statement and our policies are designed to ensure our recruitment and employment practices and procedures actively promote equality of opportunity and value diversity.
All applicants must be eligible to work in the UK upon application.
In the event that we receive a high number of applications for this vacancy, we may be unable to provide an individual response to every candidate, therefore if you haven’t heard back from us within 4 weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful on this occasion.
No recruitment agencies please.
To apply; please send your CV with a supporting cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org