Head of Employment, Skills and Principal of the Adult College
Contract Type Full Time - Permanent
Hours per week 35
Salary (in £) £68,261 (SM1b)
This is a really exciting time to work in Barking and Dagenham. With a clear vision, outstanding leadership, and investment in insight and innovation, we’re undertaking a radical transformation of how we deliver services.
We’ve just been named Local Government Chronicle’s Council of the Year 2018 and our investment and commitment to staff is recognised through Silver Investors in People accreditation.
As part of the Council’s ambitious modernisation and efficiency programme (project 2020) and ongoing development of the Community Services ‘offer’, the Employment and Skills and Adult College activities have transferred into the service; the Employment and Skills function in October 2017, and the Adult College transferred on 1 April 2018.
We are looking for a candidate who has the experience, knowledge and proven ability to deliver significant change and for someone who will be able to lead a service to……
· create a demand-led system between business and education.
· raise awareness and increase take-up of education, training and employment opportunities by providing excellent information, advice and guidance.
· increase the range of vocational training offered, including the number of work experience and volunteering opportunities being created and taken up, at all levels.
· improve opportunities for learning, self-development and employment progression for all, but particularly for the low paid and the low skilled.
· remove barriers and improve pathways into work for the unemployed.
· facilitate work with employers and training providers to ensure residents are equipped to meet the skills needs of local businesses now and in the future and to provide good quality jobs for local people.
· create a local education and skills provision more reflective of the demands of the labour market, providing a labour pool made up of well qualified and highly motivated individuals.
· better co-ordinate a job brokerage service, creating opportunities with employers, large scale recruitment and the co-ordination of employment across the borough.
Interview Date (Week Commencing) 06 August 2018
Closing date for applications 26 July 2018
If you would like to find out more about this opportunity, please do not hesitate to contact Mark Fowler at Mark.Fowler@lbbd.gov.uk.
To apply, please click the link below: