College of Haringey, Enfield and North East London
Post: Engineering Instructor/Technician
Location: Tottenham Centre
Reporting to: Curriculum Manager
Grade: Business Support Scale 24
To provide an efficient and effective support service to lecturing staff and enhancing the learning opportunities for learners. Assisting in the development of learner’s technical skills and competencies in Engineering.
1. To contribute to the delivery of learning by supporting learners and demonstrating technical competencies related to particular skills, in order to enhance the learners practical competences and understanding of the skill.
2. To support Lecturers in the delivery of learning to learners within Engineering practical sessions, including leading demonstrations and technical skill competencies on level 2 and 3 courses under the supervision of the Lecturer.
3. To carry out all related administrative duties including ordering materials and maintaining the Engineering workshops and equipment.
4. As a member of one or more Course Teams, to participate in the development and co-ordination of learning programmes.
5. To provide advice and guidance to prospective learners and participate in enrolment.
6. To ensure that all physical facilities are operating effectively, in liaison with the relevant Lecturer for that curriculum area.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. To be responsible for maintaining and issuing stores, monitoring stock levels and ordering and receiving stores after obtaining the appropriate clearance and authorisation.
2. To be responsible for the safe care and maintenance of tools, plant equipment etc.; keeping appropriate records and an inventory of all equipment and resources.
3. To be responsible for the issue and return of tools, stock and other equipment to the learner as required.
4. To be responsible for dismantling projects used on courses as and when required.
5. To be responsible for installing, checking and implementing new equipment and resources and ensure their correct operation.
6. To attend departmental meetings, functions, presentations, open days, marketing events, training events etc. within the School and/or College.
7. To be responsible for the cost effective ordering of goods and services required by staff and learners; liaison with suppliers and processing invoices in accordance with the College’s financial regulations.
8. To assist as required during examination and enrolment periods.
9. Keep up to date with industrial developments and their implications for the post holder’s duties.
10. To instruct, supervise and demonstrate to small groups/individual learners engaged impractical work in the workshop.
11. To undertake direct observation and assessment of learners who are undertaking tasks in practical settings or workshops and complete the required qualification assessment documentation.
12. To maintain and provide records and statistical checks in relation to all learners, including enrolment and attendance records.
13. To assist with the placement and induction of learners during the initial admissions/induction period.
HEALTH & SAFETY
1. To adopt safe working practices at all times and assist the Lecturing and Instructor Technician staff in the maintenance of safe working practices in classrooms and workshops.
2. To be responsible for keeping working areas clean and tidy and free from hazards.
3. Assist in the implementation of safe systems of work within own areas of responsibility.
4. Carry out risk workshop assessments as required.
1. Promotes and implement all College policies, particularly those which refer to health & safety, equality of opportunity, maintaining standards of student behaviour and Safeguarding young people and vulnerable adults.
2. Participates in College programmes of staff appraisal and continuing professional development.
3. To cover the work of colleagues when necessary.
4. To undertake any other duties consistent with the grade and duties of this post.
5. To operate at all times in line with the College’s values and behaviours.
6. Undertake other duties as may reasonably be required in the interests of the efficient functioning of the College.
This Job Description may be subject to change to meet the needs of the Service in consultation with the Post-holder.
Closing Date: 10/06/2018