Salary - £22,867 per annum (full time)
Ever considered a teaching career in Further Education (FE)?
Working in FE really makes a difference to the individuals you are teaching. All sorts of students come through the door of an FE college: the school-leaver who senses that it’s time to leave school, the adult facing unemployment who wants to retrain to find a job, the non-native speaker looking to master English or the individual who wants to follow a vocation rather than take a degree. They all have an eye on their future and this job will help them achieve their goals.
People continue to need quality teaching throughout their lives and as a FE teacher you would work with a broad cross-section of people of different ages, abilities and circumstances.
We are offering a new and exciting opportunity to train while you earn as a Trainee Teacher at
Shipley College. We are looking for a range of Trainees - you will receive a salary for two years while studying part time for a PGCE at no cost to you.
What are the benefits of the Trainee Teacher role?
● You will be employed by Shipley College and paid a wage throughout the two year course
● Trainee Teachers will follow the Level 5 Apprentice Learning and Skills Teacher Standards and also gain a PGCE qualification without needing to pay fees (currently £7,500) or a Cert Ed if you do not have a Degree. You will also complete a L2 qualification in Safeguarding and ICT functional skills. You will then be put forward to the end point assessment which will consist of a professional assessment of your performance.
● Trainee Teachers will gain a head start in their chosen profession
How does a Trainee Teacher role work?
This position combines working with studying part-time at the College. Trainee Teachers are employed throughout the 2 year programme, taking on an 80% workload while dedicating the rest of their time to developing their teaching practice. You will finish the two years as a fully qualified post-16 teacher. Shipley College will help you identify an appropriate work-based mentor who can support you in your subject specialism.
Entry Requirements: You must:
● Hold a UK degree or equivalent professional qualification/experience
● Hold Level 2 in mathematics and English
● Complete a Satisfactory DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check
● Be eligible to work in the UK
You will qualify for the general terms and conditions for teachers and have access to a range of benefits available to all staff at Shipley College, including:
● Wages £22,867 per year (assumes full time working)
● 40 days Holidays per year (September to August) plus Bank Holidays (8) and college
closure days (7)
● Membership of the Teachers Pension Scheme should you choose to join
● Access to a free gym on site
● Reduced cost train travel
Once fully qualified you can expect your salary to range fr om £24,222 to £32,493 for a main scale teacher.
Depending on your previous teaching experience you will have a reduced teaching load to begin with. Once you are up and running, you will have an 80% teaching load. Please note that there will be a requirement to work flexibly which may include some Saturdays and
‘school holidays’. The PGCE is taught across 12 Saturdays per year, which, for 2018/19, are 15/09/18, 29/09/18, 13/10/18, 10/11/18, 08/12/18, 12/01/19, 09/02/19, 09/03/19, 30/09/19, 04/05/19, 18/05/19, 08/06/19, it is expected that you will have 100% attendance, for the duration of your apprenticeship. Dates for 2019/20 will be released early in 2019.
We expect our Trainee Teachers to form the backbone of our future workforce and we want the best candidates. If you are unsure, take the opportunity to join some classes over the next month to find out if it is right for you. We want you to be making the right step - for
you and for us.
Please contact us using the firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to arrange a visit before applying. If you want to find out about more about the PGCE/Cert Ed, our next Open Day is just before the closing date in the Exhibition Building, Exhibition Road, Saltaire, BD18 3JW, Thursday 14 June 2018 - there will be a presentation and information session starting at 6pm.
Closing Date - 3 pm on 15 June 2018
Interviews will be held on Monday 2nd July or Friday 6th July 2018
Shortlisted applicants will be informed of exact interview date and time no later than 3pm on Friday 22nd June 2018
Start date - September 2018