Job title: Director
Location: Charles Dickens Primary School, London
Terms: Fixed term for 2 years, with the possibility of extension.
We are committed to flexible working and this role is open to applicants wishing to work full-time, part-time or as a job share. We would also be willing to consider secondments.
Salary: Competitive headteacher-level salary depending on experience.
Reporting to: Strategic Board (with day-to-day support and challenge from Cassie Buchanan, Headteacher at Charles Dickens Primary School)
Closing date: Noon on Monday 18 December
About Southwark Teaching School Alliance
Southwark Teaching School Alliance was established in January 2015 and brings together schools and selected partners committed to working together to achieve our vision for an education system where children and young people are nurtured and challenged to flourish in all aspects of their life – academic, cultural, personal and social.
At the heart of our Alliance is a commitment from our members to learn from, with and on behalf of the richly diverse schools in our borough and beyond, and to extend their impact beyond their own school boundaries for the good of all.
Our inclusive Alliance is open to all schools, regardless of type or where they are in their improvement journey. In 2016/17 the Alliance worked in some way with teachers or leaders from more than half of the schools in the borough, and many more beyond Southwark’s boundaries.
Southwark Teaching School Alliance has grown rapidly in the last 15 months. In September 2017 we launched five professional development programmes, through which we are providing leadership development to almost 90 aspiring and serving leaders and executive leaders, and professional development to a growing group of early career teachers. We are currently seeking to recruit 40 trainees to the next cohort of our School Direct programme, led by the John Donne partnership.
With funding secured in the first round of bidding to the Strategic School Improvement Fund (SSIF), we are delivering a school improvement programme for 12 schools seeking to narrow the gap between disadvantaged pupils and their more affluent peers. Further school-to-school support and challenge is delivered through a peer review programme currently involving 22 schools, and we are designated a Schools Partnership Programme (peer review) hub.
The departure of our current Executive Director to a CEO post has created an exciting opportunity for someone with the vision, ambition and entrepreneurialism to lead a successful and growing organisation through its next phase of development. The new Director will be responsible for building on the success and rapid expansion of Southwark Teaching School Alliance to take it to new heights of impact and influence on outcomes for children and the wider education system.
The Director will work with the Strategic Board to provide vision and leadership to the Alliance, developing and implementing a strategy for further growth, as well as overseeing effective delivery of existing programmes. The Director will lead a small central team, comprising a Programme Manager and an administrator. They will work closely with the headteachers, leaders and partners represented on our Operations Board and as Strategic Partners and Members to further develop our suite of programmes and activities covering initial teacher training, continuing professional development, school-to-school support, and research and development. These activities should meet the needs of schools, staff, leaders and the children they serve, as well as delivering financial sustainability.
Working with the Strategic Board to develop and lead a three-year vision and strategy for growth and sustainability.
• Developing and building membership tools and structures to bring in income and engagement from schools and teachers.
• Leading growing CPD programme (including NPQs) which both generates incomes and builds capacity in response to needs of pupils.
• Securing funding from grants and other sources to build financial sustainability and enable us to expand the work we do.
• Increase engagement from secondary schools.
• Completion of financial modelling for growth 2017 – 2020.
Developing the operational capacity of STSA.
• Leading the small central team to ensure smooth delivery of all aspects of the Alliance’s work.
• Leading and working closely with the Operations Board and Strategic Partners to ensure distributed ownership and leadership of the Alliance and its offer.
• Keeping the governance, operations and membership structures of STSA under review to build the capacity needed for further growth.
Developing the brand and profile
• Maintaining and expanding the high profile Southwark Teaching School Alliance has already achieved, ensuring the voice of our schools and learning from our activities are widely shared and inform national policy and practice.
• Exploring whether re-branding might be necessary to enable us to attract and influence schools and partners beyond Southwark.
How to apply
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please provide:
1. a CV of no more than 3 pages; and
2. a written statement of no more than 2 pages, setting out how you meet the requirements of the role and the person specification.
Please send these to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than noon on Monday 18 December. Please include in your covering email details of two professional referees, one of whom should be your current employer. We will only contact referees if you are successful at interview. Please also indicate in your application whether you wish to apply on a full-time, part-time, job-share and/or secondment basis.
Interviews will take place on 8 and 9 January.
Southwark Teaching School Alliance is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people by following best guidance and practice and expects all staff to share this commitment. A DBS check is required for the successful applicant.
Southwark Teaching School Alliance is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
If you would like a confidential conversation before applying for this role, please email the current Executive Director, email@example.com.