Lecturer in GCSE & Functional Skills English
Newcastle and Stafford Colleges Group
Salary: £30,000 – £40,000 per annum
Benefits: Up to £5,000 golden hello payment
Up to £9,600 Employer Pension contributions
52 Days Annual Leave (incl. Bank Holidays & Christmas Closure)
Location: Newcastle and Stafford College sites
Hours: Both full-time and part-time positions available
In November 2019 Newcastle and Stafford Colleges Group (NSCG) became the first further education provider in England to achieve outstanding grades in every area of Ofsted’s recently reformed Education Inspection Framework (EIF).
The inspection report praised all areas of the College’s provision and acknowledged NSCG’s ‘positive, stimulating and safe learning environment’, ‘highly motivated staff’, and ‘learners’ exemplary behaviour and attitudes to learning’. It also highlighted the fantastic partnerships the College has with industry.
The group is currently home to a population of over 6,000 full-time students and around 500 students on higher education programmes. We have over 4,000 part-time or adult learners and 2,000 apprentices where we work with over 800 individual employers. Our Sixth Form provision has a reputation for high academic achievement and excellence.
Due to an expansion of the curriculum area, we are looking for a Lecturer of English within our GCSE & Functional Skills team.
Our ideal candidate will be an inspiring lecturer who has a proven record of innovation and a pro-active approach to delivery. You will have also demonstrated an understanding and sensitivity towards the needs of your learners and used this to help them reach their true potential.
Based in our cross college English and Mathematics department, we are looking for individuals who are enthusiastic, self-motivated and a team player. As well as relevant experience, you will be qualified with an English or related degree. You will have achieved a teaching qualification at Level 5 (DTLLS or equivalent).
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Play an active role in raising the standard and awareness of English across college
- Deliver excellent standards of teaching and learning across all areas within the curriculum area
- Engage in core duties including preparation, marking, monitoring student progress, preparing reports, setting and marking of examination papers, developing and preparing flexible learning materials.
- To be involved in marketing of the College, Faculty and Department.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Has a degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline.
- Teaching qualification (PGCE or DTTLS) or willingness to obtain
- Is well organised and able to manage the peaks and troughs of a varied workload.
- Able to communicate effectively with students and peers.
What’s in it for you?
The college offers and excellent benefits package which includes:
- £5,000 Golden Hello payment (paid in the first year of employment).
- Employer Pension contributions – up to £9,600 (Teachers’ Pension Scheme).
- 52 Days Annual Leave (including Bank Holidays & Christmas Closure).
- Electric Vehicle Scheme (Salary Sacrifice).
- Cycle to Work Scheme (Salary sacrifice).
- Subsidised Gym Membership.
- Health-related benefits including a subsidised Health Scheme.
- Excellent Training and Development Opportunities (supported with a dedicated budget).
- Dedicated Teaching & Learning Coaches for New Staff.
- Remission provided for your first year in post.
- Free Parking
- On site restaurant and FREE early morning tea/coffee and toast.
How to apply
To apply for the role of Lecturer in GCSE FS English, please click ‘Apply Now’ to complete an online application form.
(If you are applying via a jobs board, you will receive an e-mail and link that will take you directly to our application form on the Newcastle & Stafford Colleges Group website).
The closing date for completed applications is 10th March 2024.
This college is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All college based positions are subject to enhanced DBS check and are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.
As an equal opportunities employer, we welcome applications from all sectors of the community.