Instructor / Technician in Boatbuilding
Bournemouth and Poole College
We have an exciting opportunity available for an Instructor / Technician in Boatbuilding to join us on a full-time, permanent basis and in return, you will receive a competitive salary of £25,662 – £30,377 per annum.
At Bournemouth & Poole College our staff are passionate and committed to achieve the very best outcomes for our students – we transform lives. We recognise and value our people as our most important asset in achieving each of the strategic outcomes within our College’s Strategic Plan. We believe it is through our people that an excellent student experience will be delivered, and this will have a positive impact in our local community. We value inclusion and we are committed to the promotion of equality, diversity, and inclusion, ensuring we have a diverse, skilled, and motivated workforce who are empowered and engaged. This makes our College a unique, vibrant and rewarding place to work. You will be employed through Southern Educational Professional Services Ltd; a subsidiary of the College.
The Instructor / Technician in Boatbuilding Role
As an Instructor / Technician in Boatbuilding, you will undertake duties in the Boatbuilding and Marine departments. Based mainly within the Fulcrum centre with some travel to our North Road centre as required. You will deliver high quality and effective instructing to learners within the Boatbuilding and Composite department to Bournemouth and Poole College students.
Responsibilities as our Instructor / Technician in Boatbuilding include:
- Contribute to high quality learning experiences using a variety of methods.
- Ensure that the instructing is based on current best available practice and is consistent with a high standard reflective of the work environment.
- Provide academic and pastoral support to students in accordance with agreed procedures.
- Undertake such other reasonable duties as the line manager may require from time to time.
- Participate in the College’s appraisal process and to undertake any training that may be appropriate.
- Take appropriate responsibility to ensure the health and safety of self and others.
- Pursue the achievement and integration of equal opportunities throughout all The College’s activities.
- Preparation of learning environment for lessons
- Assist with the preparation of reports on student progress for parents/carers and employers as appropriate
- Clean and repair apparatus, equipment and workshops to the standard required by awarding bodies for the delivery of their courses.
- Support the teaching team in demonstrating apparatus and equipment, assist in practical projects as directed.
- Responsible for maintaining an adequate supply of materials, reclaiming reusable and disposing of scrap materials
- When necessary, travel to and from suppliers and employers’ premises
The above list of duties is not exhaustive and is subject to change. The post holder may be required to undertake other duties within the scope and grading of the post.
As our Instructor / Technician in Boatbuilding, you will need:
- Level 2 (or equivalent) English and Maths
- Trained First Aider – or willing to undertake training upon starting
- Level 2 or higher qualification in Boatbuilding / Composite or Carpentry
- Forklift license – or willing to undertake training
- Marine industry Experience
- Health and Safety with engineering industry equipment
- Woodwork Experience
- Equipment and tool maintenance
- Boatbuilding construction / Composites knowledge
- Confident speaker and demonstrator
- The ability to analyse and solve problems
- Interpersonal/presentation and negotiation skills with adults and young people
Benefits will include:
You will receive excellent benefits and a competitive salary:
- 27.5 days annual leave plus bank holidays, increasing to 30.5 after 5 years’ service
- up to 4 days additional leave during the Christmas closure period
- Free parking at all of our college sites (where spaces are available)
- Access to Discount Schemes at multiple retailers
- Enrolment into the NEST Pension Scheme
If you feel you are the right candidate for this Instructor / Technician in Boatbuilding role, then please click ‘apply’ now! We’d love to hear from you!
Closing date: 08 March 2024
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early if we receive sufficient applications for the role. Therefore, if you are interested, please submit your application as early as possible.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all staff to share this commitment. The successful applicant will be required to undertake appropriate safeguarding checks which includes an enhanced DBS check as well as providing proof of right to work in the UK.