We have an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic and driven Chef Instructor to join our team here at Bournemouth and Poole College on a full time, permanent basis. In return, you will receive a competitive salary of £30,256 per annum.
At Bournemouth & Poole College our staff are passionate and committed to achieve the very best outcomes for our students – we transform lives. We recognise and value our people as our most important asset in achieving each of the strategic outcomes within our College’s Strategic Plan. We believe it is through our people that an excellent student experience will be delivered, and this will have a positive impact in our local community. We value inclusion and we are committed to the promotion of equality, diversity, and inclusion, ensuring we have a diverse, skilled, and motivated workforce who are empowered and engaged. This makes our College a unique, vibrant and rewarding place to work. You will be employed through Southern Educational Professional Services Ltd; a subsidiary of the College.
About the role:
As the Chef Instructor you will deliver excellent and engaging instruction and supervision in the practical kitchen and pastry classes. This position involves daytime & evening work to support our restaurant which is open to the public. You will work as an integral part of the team where the overall aim will be the development and operation of students in their learning and assessment.
Responsibilities as our Chef Instructor will include:
- Contribute to the delivery of a range of educational programs, from L1 to L3 including identifying learning objectives; planning sequenced program delivery
- Supervise practical training and service (production) classes in main kitchen and pastry sessions
- Contribute to high quality learning experiences using a variety of teaching and learning methods
- Ensure that teaching is based on current best practice and is consistent with a high standard of practice
- To ensure that health and food safety regulations are adhered to in the provision of a safe working environment and that any maintenance issues of the practical working area, materials and equipment are reported to the relevant person
- Assess, verify and record evidence of competence as appropriate and submit regular reports on the conduct, progress and achievement of students and make recommendations to relevant staff
- Participate in the College’s appraisal process and to undertake any training that may be appropriate
- To engage in professional development and networking for the purpose of CPD and to inform the strategic planning process of the area
What we are looking for in our Chef Instructor:
- Level 2 (or equivalent) English and Maths
- Minimum Level 3 Vocational Qualification in professional cookery or equivalent. Classical training is preferred
- L3 in Food Safety and Hygiene
- 5 years’ work employment in a high-quality (fine dining) establishment. To include all sections (Larder; Main kitchen; Pastry)
- Daytime and evening classes
- Willingness to take part in Open Evenings/weekends; employer & school liaison and careers events
You will receive excellent benefits and a competitive salary:
- 27.5 days annual leave plus bank holidays, increasing to 30.5 after 5 years’ service
- up to 4 days additional leave during the Christmas closure period
- Free parking at all of our college sites (where spaces are available)
- Access to Discount Schemes at multiple retailers
- Enrolment into the NEST Pension Scheme
If you feel you are the right candidate for this Chef Instructor role, then please click ‘apply’ now! We’d love to hear from you!
Closing date: 07 December 2023
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early if we receive sufficient applications for the role. Therefore, if you are interested, please submit your application as early as possible.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all staff to share this commitment. The successful applicant will be required to undertake appropriate safeguarding checks which includes an enhanced DBS check as well as providing proof of right to work in the UK.