Purpose of this role
Provide Pearson education centre and tutors with advice on programme and assessment design and delivery.
Contribute to quality enhancement of the delivery through external examiner sampling and visit activities
Ensure centres’ compliance with Pearson quality assurance expectations for RQF BTEC Higher National programmes
Affirm national standards have been achieved and upheld
Support centres in the delivery and assessment of BTEC Higher National qualifications
Covering a defined range of programmes, the External Examiner will:
- Undertake sampling of assessed student work to establish outcomes are in accordance with Pearson, and professional standards for Higher National qualifications
- Provide sampling-related reports, feedback and development advice to centres and Pearson
- Produce quality assurance reports to Pearson on the sampling undertaken, outcomes reached, and support provided
- Apply appropriate sanctions, in consultation with the Pearson team, where necessary to assure quality of learning, teaching, assessment and professionalism
- Work with centres to develop and implement action plans where standards are not being upheld
- Facilitate sourcing materials for training and standardisation events
- Participation annually in online training and standardisation and successful completion of the set standardisation activity
- Undertake any other duties appropriate to the role of External Examiner
- Meet the core training, practice and competence requirements of SCoPEd column A therapist: https://www.bacp.co.uk/about-us/advancing-the-profession/scoped/scoped-framework/
- Member of an appropriate professional body with a complaints procedure to which you are subject, e.g., BACP, ACC, BPC, HGI, NCS, UKCP
- Familiar with and agree to work within BACP Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions, or another relevant professional ethical framework if outside UK
- Previous external examining experience for RQF/FHEQ levels 4/5
- Evidence of recent, relevant continuing professional development (CPD) in the sector
- Recent counselling practice experience
- Recent employment or experience in higher education
- International education experience related to the counselling sector
Skills and knowledge
- Hold a recognised qualification at or equivalent to FHEQ Level 6 and a recognised counselling qualification
- Student and customer-focused approach
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work within the scope of service level agreements
- Work with others to develop and monitor clear action plans
- Excellent interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication skills
- Experience using technology to communicate with a variety of individuals and teams
- Knowledge of BTEC Higher National delivery and assessment
- Word processing, presentation (in-person and virtual) and spreadsheet skills
- Using systems approaches to quality enhancement
Pearson provides content, assessment and digital services to learners, educational institutions, employers, governments and other partners globally. We are the UK’s largest awarding body and offer qualifications that are globally recognised and benchmarked, with educational excellence rooted in a range of general and vocational courses.
We value the power of inclusive culture and embed diversity and inclusion in everything we do. Pearson promotes a company culture where differences are embraced as strengths, opportunities are equal and accessible, consideration and respect are the norm. Through our talent, we believe that diversity and inclusion make us a more innovative and vibrant company. People are at the centre of our company. We are committed to a sustainable environment and workplace ecosystem where talent can learn, grow, and thrive.
Pearson, the world’s leading learning company, is looking for External Examiners for our new BTEC Higher National qualifications in Counselling and Applied Psychology and Therapeutic Counselling.
The Higher National Certificate in Counselling and Applied Psychology, and Higher National Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling combine with our other health and wellbeing qualifications to provide learners with seamless progression into higher education at levels 4 and 5.
To take advantage of this opportunity complete our online application