For specified externally assessed components within the T Level programme in a given sector at level 3, the Lead Examiner will be the responsible and accountable subject expert for an externally assessed unit – in terms of specification interpretation, and the accuracy and correctness of assessment items.
The Lead Examiner will:
● Work with employers and providers to create assessments
● Lead and support the development, production, review and amendment of externally assessed items for the area of subject responsibility
● Lead a team of examiners
● Lead on the awarding of assessment outcomes
● Keep up to date with changes in the sector
● Have detailed and up to date knowledge and understanding of the range of external assessment methodologies to be deployed
● Report to and update the chief examiner on a regular basis
● Produce an ‘end of exam series’ report within the parameters of a defined template in order to comment on national standards (also known as a Lead Examiners Report)
● Report back to Pearson within agreed time-frames
● Contribute to Pearson’s ‘ask the expert’ service where required
● Represent vocational assessment or Pearson as required
● Undertake any other duties appropriate to the work of vocational assessment in relation to this role.
The Assessment development process
For the development of external assessments, the Lead Examiner will:
● Write new external assessments in line with Sample Assessment Materials (SAMs) for a given unit/component
● Be responsible for the quality of all items deployed for external assessment
● Assist with the statistical analysis of external assessment data
● Advise Pearson of any changes which could have an impact on items’ performance
● Ensure all items provide a valid and fair test of achievement
● Input and lead on the training for item writing (if required)
● Lead on the standardisation of item writers as required
● Attend Question Paper Evaluation Committee (QPEC) meeting(s) to finalise external assessments
● Review amended external assessments as necessary
● ‘Sign off’ on the quality and appropriateness of the assessment or amend when requested to do so
● Respond to queries from Pearson concerning technical issues with items.
For the delivery of external assessments, the Lead Examiner will:
● Lead on the pre-standardisation of the senior examining team
● Lead on the training and standardisation of examiners
● Lead on the monitoring of examiners during the marking period
● Be responsible for the quality of marking
● Be responsible for the awarding of external assessment outcomes
● Provide timely feedback on examiner performance at the end of each exam series
● Substantial subject knowledge and expertise within the sector
● Significant experience in delivering and assessing vocational qualifications
● Experience in the production of external assessments within the sector
● Evidence of continuous professional development (CPD) in the field of Assessment of vocational qualifications
● Leading a team
● Experience of advising and supporting others in the production of external assessment within the sector.
● Experience of marking and results delivery, to include the examination
● Process, pre-standardisation and standardisation activities, and Awarding
● Experience of teaching or assessing externally assessed qualifications
● Experience of analysing statistical data in relation to performance of tested items.
We have a number of opportunities available for teaching professionals to join our growing teams of examiners, moderators and verifiers.
To take advantage of this opportunity complete our online application