Science Lab Technician
We are looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Science Lab Technician to join the team based in Poole on a part time, term time only basis. In return, you will receive a competitive salary of £18,787 per annum.
At Bournemouth & Poole College our staff are passionate and committed to achieve the very best outcomes for our students – we transform lives. We recognise and value our people as our most important asset in achieving each of the strategic outcomes within our College’s Strategic Plan. We believe it is through our people that an excellent student experience will be delivered, and this will have a positive impact in our local community.
We value inclusion and we are committed to the promotion of equality, diversity, and inclusion, ensuring we have a diverse, skilled, and motivated workforce who are empowered and engaged. This makes our College a unique, vibrant and rewarding place to work. You will be employed through Southern Educational Professional Services Ltd; a subsidiary of the College.
Organisation: Bournemouth & Poole College
Department: Science, Access & Counselling
Contract Type: Permanent
Employment Basis: Term time only, part time hours
Contracted working hours: 22.2 / 29.6
Location: North Road, Poole
Salary: £18,787 Pro Rata
Closing date: 15/08/2022
About the Science Lab Technician role:
The main duties in this post are to facilitate the affective running of laboratories and other science facilities, and to assist and support teaching staff in the preparation of practical / demonstration activities for a range of health , medical and forensic science courses, whilst ensuring that adherence to Health and Safety requirements are maintained at all times. The successful applicant will have a strong science education background.
Responsibilities as our Science Lab Technician:
- Prepare, set up, operate equipment, materials and apparatus as directed, reclaiming reusable materials and disposing of out of date materials and equipment
- Maintain, calibrate, repair and fabricate apparatus and equipment, including assisting with demonstration of such apparatus and equipment
- Maintain an adequate supply of materials and equipment will involve ordering from suppliers and chasing orders to ensure they arrive on time, both by telephone and email.
- Issue and receive materials, equipment and apparatus from stores
- Prepare and update department inventory records
- Checking deliveries in reference to the previous order, report and follow up and discrepancies
- Assist with experiments and practical projects in laboratories, workrooms and in simulation settings
- Assist academic staff in the production of training and learning materials as appropriate
- Assist and support students in carrying out various laboratory techniques and projects
- Proactively ensure that classrooms, equipment and apparatus are safe, secure, tidy, clean, well maintained and operated in accordance with sound operational practice and current Health and Safety regulations
- Conduct and record Health and Safety risk assessment
- Undertake professional / vocational development activities
As our Science Lab Technician you’ll ideally have:
- Minimum of a Level 3 Qualification in a core science specialism
- Current practice / knowledge of Health and Safety regulations and procedures for working in a laboratory setting and working with hazardous chemicals
- Knowledge of a range of practical science techniques at Level 2 and Level 3
- Experience in working within a science laboratory environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent range of I.T. skills
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong Science / Education background
- Strong problem solving skills
You will receive excellent benefits and a competitive salary:
- 26 days annual leave plus bank holidays, increasing to 29 after 5 years’ service
- up to 4 days additional leave during the Christmas closure period
- Free parking at all of our college sites (where spaces are available)
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Enrolment into the NEST Pension Scheme
Closing date – 15/08/2022
If you feel you are the right candidate for this Science Lab Technician role then please click ‘apply’ now! We’d love to hear from you!
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults, and expects all staff to share this commitment. The successful applicant will be required to undertake appropriate safeguarding checks which includes an enhanced DBS check as well as providing proof of right to work in the UK